Monday, March 26, 2007

Chris's chemoembolization...

Today was the day for Chris's treatment. She went in for a chemoembolization. A procedure where they go in through the femoral artery and inject non-diluted chemotherapy directly into her liver. We left the house around 6am so she could be at John's Hopkins around 7am. She was scheduled for an MRI first and then the procedure at 10am.
I dropped her off and then parked the car. By the time I got up to where we needed to go she was already in for the MRI. I got to be with her around 8:30. She was worried about the MRI but said that it went well. The tube was open on each end and part of her head was sticking out enough to remove any anxieties. We stayed together until about 9:30 when they took her for the procedure. I went for a walk and came back around 11. She was done but still in the operating room. I finally got to go to the recovery room at 12:30. She was very uncomfortable as she was laying flat on her back.
The Dr. said that the procedure went well, but that there was a small complication. It seems some of the chemo made it into her gall bladder. It's not uncommon but needs to be monitored. She is in quite a bit of pain from the high-dose chemo and the pain is in the liver/gall bladder. She is on a pain pump with morphine, but that is not helping a whole lot. She finally has fallen asleep around 5pm and I just sat and re-read the paper.
I went in and checked on Chris around 6 and she got up to use the bathroom. She then ended up getting sick. The nurse gave her some more antinausea medicine at that time. Chris fell asleep around 6:45 and I passed out about 7:00.... Very quiet and peacful. UNTIL a nurse came in and woke us up to check vitals. Chris's not mine!
Chrissy told me to leave as it was getting late. I didn't want to but she insisted. I called Alex on the way home and made sure she knew what was up.
Chris's parents were at the house with the Boys, and our neighbor Randy took Michael to lacrosse practice. When I got home around 8:30 mom and Ty had dinner ready to go and Michael was just getting home. I was glad to be home. I really don't have to worry about anything except Chris.
Thanks for the emials and prayers today. I cannot begin to tell you how much of a toll being in the hospital all day takes on you. I'm exhausted and all I did was sit around and wait with Chris. I'll keep you all posted as best I can.

No word yet on tomorrow. Hopefully she'll come home but we'll see then.

Thank you........

No comments: