Thursday, March 6, 2008

Lycoming Loses Season Opener in Double OT

Justine TitkoWILLIAMSPORT, Pa.—Lycoming’s women’s lacrosse team lost its season opener to Ursinus on Wednesday by a score of 15-14 in double overtime.

Lycoming was led by senior Megan Wallenhorst’s (Rochester, N.Y.) six goals, including four of the Lady Warriors’ final six goals. Sophomore Megan McIntyre (Baltimore, Md.) had three goals, while juniors Sarah Wingerden (Macedon, N.Y.) and Kelly Mack (New Egypt, N.J.) scored two goals apiece. Senior goalie Kristina Peacock (Webster, N.Y.) recorded an impressive 26 saves for the game, including 12 in each half of regulation.

For Ursinus, Elizabeth Cannon had six goals, while Lisa Clark had five. But Catie Cameron’s goal 2:49 into the “sudden death” second overtime period ended the back and forth battle.

The Lady Warriors started the game with two quick goals. McIntyre took the opening draw and scored unassisted just 18 seconds in, then Wallenhorst found the net 18 seconds later off of a feed from Heather Suit (Annapolis, Md.). Almost seven minutes later, Wingerden converted a free-position shot to put Lyco up 3-0.

But the Lady Bears did not give up, as Clark scored twice within a minute, then Cannon scored to tie the game before the halfway mark of the first period. Goals by Lycoming’s Amanda Baker (Media, Pa.) and McIntyre were both answered by Clark and, with 10 minutes left in the half, the score was locked at five.

Sammi Jo BellWallenhorst and Wingerden each scored to put Lyco up by two with less than six minutes remaining before halftime, but Cannon and Hannah Kuranz converted in the last 4 minutes to make the tally 7-7 at the break.

In the first seven minutes of the second half, Cannon scored twice and Clark scored, but Mack kept Lycoming close with a goal at 27:58. A Wallenhorst goal and another Ursinus goal set the score at 11-9 for nearly 10 minutes until Wallenhorst converted twice in the last two minutes of regulation to send the game into overtime.

Ursinus led 14-12 with 1:38 left in overtime and, shortly after, Lycoming got its fourth yellow card of the contest, forcing the Lady Warriors to play down a player for the remainder of the game. Head coach Kara Reber pulled her goalie and focused on offense. The plan worked, as McIntyre scored with 45 seconds remaining and Mack converted 16 seconds later to make it 14-14.

The eighth tie of the game set up a 3-minute “golden goal” second overtime. Still outnumbered, the Lady Warriors held off the Lady Bears for 2:49 before Cameron's game-winning goal found the net.

Lycoming’s next game is against Montclair on Saturday, March 8 at noon at Shangraw Athletic Complex.

No comments: