Thursday, October 4, 2007

"My First Job"

Each week the Frederick News Post runs a piece entitled "My First Job". It takes one person and interviews them about their 1st job and then progresses into how it helped them where they are today.

Back in August Chris was given the application by the paper. She filled it out near the end of August and submitted it without a picture. They were looking for a picture of her in the office from the pictures at COMSTAR. Unfortunately she never got a chance to send in that picture. I contacted the paper and was told by the FNP that they would not run the piece since she has passed away. I then asked for them to send me her responses so that I could have them to read. After reading them I felt that everyone should get a chance to see them so now I will publish Chris's responses here for everyone to see. Enjoy.




MY FIRST JOB
  • Name: Chris DeWitt
  • Age: 44
  • Graduated from: Montgomery Community College
  • Degree: Associate of Arts
  • First job: Working at the original Jimmie Cone in Damascus
  • Title of first job: Counterperson
  • How long did you hold that job? 3 years
  • What was the most important thing it taught you? If you’re willing, you can learn how to do a lot of things.
  • How did it contribute to where you are now? I feel I have always been willing to learn new things whether it’s part of my job or not.
  • What did you dislike most about your first job? Long lines on Sundays!
  • What do you tell your children or family about your first job? How I learned to clean machines, do inventory, schedule employees and add quickly without a calculator. And, of course, what my favorite ice cream and toppings were (chocolate with hot fudge).
  • What did you think about your job then? I loved it. I met a lot of people and got to eat ice cream every day.
  • What do you think about that experience now? I still think of it as a very positive experience. I became friends with the family that owned the Jimmie Cone and I always felt very appreciated as a worker.
  • What was the least important thing it taught you? While it seemed important at the time, I’ve never really found a use for being able to swirl ice cream just right on a cone.
  • If I could go back in time and give myself advice about my first job, this is what I’d say? Learn everything you can — it might be useful one day.
  • If I could go back and change anything, what would it be? Nothing.
  • What do you do now? I work for COMSTAR Federal Credit Union — my second job.
  • Title? Vice President of Operations
  • How long in that position? Were you in a different field before that? I have been with COMSTAR for 24 years and have been in a VP role for about 6 years.
  • As a high school senior, I wanted to be: An artist or landscape designer.
  • Favorite book, or types of books? Historical fiction or romance.
  • If a movie were made about my life, what kind of movie and who would the actor be that would play me? I have no idea!
  • Proudest accomplishment? My marriage and three children.
  • Favorite quote? Faith is the bird that feels the light and sings while the dawn is still dark.
  • Favorite song or type of music? Bon Jovi’s “Livin’ on a Prayer”.
  • What I love best and least about Frederick? Frederick has so many great little restaurants and shops to visit. What I like least is the traffic.
  • My business philosophy is: Don’t micro manage — let people do what they do best. Always be aware of what’s going on in the company even if it’s not your department or area of focus.
  • In my free time, I like to: Go to my kid’s sporting events, work in the garden, watch reality shows.
  • Best and worst investments I ever made? Best – my 401k.
  • Favorite time of the year? Autumn.

No comments: