Friday, September 14, 2007

Rainy Friday for Calling Hours

Friday was the day set for calling hours at the funeral home. It rained quite a bit all day Friday and that made things a little more gloomy. All of Chris's family was there with me and my sister actually made it up from KY to be with us as well.

The kids and I went to the funeral home a little early and we went in and spent some time alone with Chris. Of course we were all a little bit scared as we went in. We started in the back of the room and made our way forward. Well as soon as we saw her the fear was gone! She looked beautiful. Just beautiful. The flowers that were there were so vibrant and wonderful as well. We brought a couple of jewelry items to put on her and some pictures to put around the room for people to see. We were really happy.

We then went over to an alcove to watch a slide show on a video screen. That brought the tears for us. But not sadness, just joy as they were all great memories that were coming back to us. Chris's parents came in and spent time alone as well.

People started coming in around 2pm and there was a very steady flow until about 4pm. After that we walked down to a restaurant in downtown Frederick for a dinner in between. It was nice to get some food and sit with the family for awhile.

We went back and around 6:30 the people for the evening session started filing in. The line was out the door and onto the porch the entire evening! I met so many friends, family, business associates that I will have to go back to the guest book to remember them all. It was so soothing to see all the support come through the door all night long. Chris's parents, brothers and sisters were also greeted with the same love and caring. Thank you to each and every one of you who was there in the rain to be with us.

Afterwards, we had some time to wind down. During that time Michael and I placed some items in the casket with Chris so she could have them with her. A cat's meow house of LaPaz (favorite restaurant), a depression glass from her collections, some photos of friends and family, along with a shell from Aruba were some of the things we gave her. After that it was then time to make our final goodbyes. Everyone else went first and then Alex, Tyler, Michael, and I had our

We talked a long time about Mom and how much she meant to us. We then gave each other a huge hug. The kids left and I told Chris that I loved her and promised to do my best to take care of the kids. I thanked her for all the love and devotion she had given me for 23 years. I then kissed her 1 last time and then said "See you soon...". In the big picture life is very very short and our time on earth is only a speck. It will be soon and I look forward to seeing her again.

More to come...

No comments: